I just tried looking through the various parts of Firebug, and while it
profiles net traffic excellently, I don't see anyway to profile memory/CPU
time on the different elements.

I did test a script which captures the date/time, then loads the jQuery
file, then captures the date/time again and calculates the millisecond
difference between them.

You can see this (using uncompressed jQuery):
http://www.scorpiontechnology.com/Cobalt/speedtest.htm

After clearing the cache and visiting the page (reflushing the cache each
time), I got these results:

1078ms
1109ms
1078ms
1078ms

Subsequence hits to the page (using the retry link) were:

16ms
15ms
0ms
16ms

I then made another page that uses the packed version of jQuery which has to
be eval'ed on load.

http://www.scorpiontechnology.com/Cobalt/speedtest2.htm

Initial load test:

641ms
656ms
656ms
640ms

Subsequent visits using the retry button (with cached files):

47ms
32ms
46ms
47ms

So there is definitely some overhead evaling the packed version of the
script, on the order of magnitude of about 0.03 seconds.

Then, for poops and giggles, I tried the same thing with a minified gzip
jQuery:

http://www.scorpiontechnology.com/Cobalt/speedtest3.htm

Initial load test:

485ms
468ms
469ms
562ms

Subsequent cached loads were:

15ms
16ms
0ms
16ms

(identical to the initial uncompressed jQuery test).

I'd be curious to see if others get similar results, but for now, I would
say that using the minified/gzipped solution will result in the least amount
of network overhead (duh) without the (albeit minor) performance hit of the
packed version.

And on the original point about framesets, 0.016 seconds savings in time is
not worth the problems inherent in a frameset-based website IMHO.

JK