Very impressive stuff! A couple of comments:
1. Everything that Mike Alsup said
2. You should take a look at the file extension --> plugin mappings in
Mike's media plugin[1] as it's much more extensive than yours for roughly
the same list of plugins
3. Make the extension --> plugin mappings extensible (this is particularly
useful for the "external" player)

[1] http://dev.jquery.com/browser/trunk/plugins/media/jquery.media.js#L180

--
Aaron Heimlich