Actually, what I think I'm looking for is more advanced masking/validation.
I want to encourage users to use 2 digits for month, but recognize that
using one digit will be valid also.  Perhaps a plugin where the value of the
field is matched against a regular expression.  If it doesn't match, some
error message occurs.  If it does match, then it is allowed to pass.  Come
to think of it, maybe I'll just write the plugin myself.