Jason,

Based on your response I would recommend allowing the user to enter either
format using the watermark plugin to suggest the format of the input, then
if they enter it lazily (ex: Month 9) when they tab out of the input box,
correct their format. The reduces any server side validation and gives a
visual indication to the user what the correct input format is.

~Sean