Hello, i've been writing javascript for a while now.  So, as you can
imagine I am struggling just a bit.  I browsed a few of the beginner
tutorials and didn't see what I was looking for.  I understand that
methods like .is or .hide are special to the jquery library and you
can't access these using regular DOM elements.  But I don't want to
type $(this.parentNode.parentNode) every time I want to do something
to it.  Assigning var target = $(this.parentNode.parentNode); still
doesn't let me use jquery methods against target.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?