I don't think you're not really understanding the selector syntax.
The 'id' is unique (or is supposed to be) and starts with a '#', and
the css syntax uses a name and value pair to set the attribute.  So:

$("#myimage).css('display", "inline");  // or "block"

or try this alternative:

$("#myimage).show();

or possibly:

$("#myimage).toggle()

The last one displays when hidden and hides if already visible.  I
assume that 'myimg' is not something you really intended to use for
the selector.