We've been making ever more use of the excellent jquery.validate
plugin on our various sites.  In order that we don't have to write a
validation script for every page with a form we have been using the
embedded class style of rule definition, and as the rules we need for
validation have grown more complex we have switched from simple
classes to using the metadata plugin and the {validate:{rule:value}}
syntax.

This works well, except it leads to problems when trying to validate
pages with the w3c validator as XHtML 1.1.  The validation fails,
complaining that the curly braces {} are illegal characters in class
names.  This doesn't seem to happen when using an older XHTML
doctype.

Is there a way around this problem so that pages validate in spite of
the embedded class names?