Okay, thanks for the tip. I do tend to be a bit fussy about things
validating properly, but I suppose that as long as it doesn't break
anything in any browsers (and it doesn't seem to) then it probably
isn't important.  I think switching to XHTML 1.0 transitional would
cause the validation errors to go away but doesn't jQuery 1.3 demand a
strict doctype now?