Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply.  I see what you mean about the tab key...  I hope
someone offers you some advice so you can use the plugin without branching.
 If you do find a solution I'd be glad to hear it too.  Did you see my
response re; 'selectFirst: false' ?  I don't know if this would help your
problem but it solved mine.  Also I found a list of all the autocomplete
options here:

http://docs.jquery.com/Plugins/Autocomplete/autocomplete#url_or_dataoptions

(Click the 'options' tab to the right of the 'overview' tab.  The 'options'
link further down goes somewhere else.)

Regards,

Matthew

--