On 4/26/09 9:31 PM, "Jordon Bedwell" <jor...@envygeeks.com> wrote:

>> this is one of two counter-intuitive keyboard behaviors i'm aware of. the
>> other is tab, which most users would expect to get them to the next form
>> element.
>
> I'm still scratching my head at how this is counter-intuitive? If you called
> it that, you must not understand the entire scope of tab, and the fact that
> it has no scope, it loops through the entire frame of the browser, including
> the address bar and links.  With JavaScript you can prevent it from looping
> through links and the address bar by defining where it goes and what it
> does. YES, if it did infact stay within forms if you select a form element
> it would be counter-intuitive, but at this point, it is far from that based
> on logic.  There are also more reasons to redine the default behaviour of
> tab.

turning tab into a select, i..e making it work like enter, is counter-
intuitive, to me. autocomplete does that.

if you're in a form and the focus is on a text input and the form layout
shows that the next form element is, say, another text element, you'd expect
tab to get you to it. but with the autocomplete plugin, hit tab to move to
the next input and what you typed gets over-written by a suggestion. that's
not just unexpected, it's annoying.