Let's say that you want to add the click handler to all anchors in the 1st pane:

$('#pane1 a').click(function()
{
        $.ajax({
                /* assuming that the anchor's href contains all
                 * the data necessary for your PHP script
                 */
                url: href,
                cache: false,
                success: function(html)
                {
                        $('#pane2').html(html);
        return false;
});

If you have specific anchors in pane1 you'll need to reflect that in
the 1st selector above.

You mentioned updating both panes 2 & 3 and XML, so, obviously, you'll
need to change the success function somewhat. But that's the gist of
it, anyway.