I'm having some problem with selectors in Internet Explorer.  I have
this demo setup that is basically a modified "linked menus"
application.  When you select something from one menu, it updates the
contents in it's child menu.

For some reason Internet Explorer will not read the correct selector.

I have tested the following:  I've tried each of these selectors with
and without "this".
$(".parentMenu").click();
$("#parentMenu > .parentMenu").click();
$("#parentMenu > option").click();

This was the only one I got to trigger anything.
$("#parentMenu").click();

The elements in question here are:
<select class='selectMenu' id='parentMenu'>
    <option class='parentMenu'>
</select>

My question is:

Why do all the other browsers recognize the content within the
<select> except internet explorer.  It seems like it won't call any of
the option elements, whether they're created by script or loaded fresh
from the server.

Any ideas??