option tags are closed, i just didn't write them in here...

@MorningZ:

What I'm trying to do is update a second select box with options that
are specific to options in the first box.  Basically, a linked menus
program.  What was happening was all browser except IE were handling
the event function just fine.  IE wasn't recognizing any of the
selectors *above*, except the #parentMenu (by itself).

I basically got something to work, so now I'm just after information.
Why does IE ignore JQuery notation for handling child (classes or
elements)?

You wrote " >option['parentMenu'] "... what is this notation called?