On Jan 12, 1:24 pm, Nathan Klatt <n8kl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > IE 6 use is 3 times that of Safari (all versions) depending on whose
> > statistics you believe. Why not drop support for Safari while you're
> > at it? And Opera and Chrome?
>
> Because you don't have to do anything to support Safari or Chrome or
> Opera

There are at least 5 Safari-specific quirks catered for in jQuery (I
just searched for Safari in comments), there are likely others.
Admittedly that's far fewer than are required for IE, but since IE 6
is now about 10 years old, surely it's quirks are well known and
catered for?

> - they actually work. To stop supporting them you'd have to stop
> supporting standards.

Browsers will continue to evolve. If appropriate feature detection is
already in place and effective alternatives provided to handle quirks,
you may find that you are handling some new quirks without having to
write a single line of code. :-)

For example, while the bit in jQuery that checks if the event.target
is a textNode is meant for Safari (pre version 3 I think), it will
work for any browser that has such behaviour. Safari's behaviour was
actually compliant with the spec, the far more common behaviour (i.e.
that event.target is always a nodeType 1) is not compliant.

> >> I work with several clients that do
> >> not want to "lead the way" in this respect, and need to support IE6 as
> >> long as it has a fair usage share, which may be for several more
> >> years.]
>
> > That is a sensible decision
>
> Anyone clinging to IE6, at this point, has gone waaaay beyond not
> leading the way!

If w3schools' statistics are at all accurate, there are about the same
number of people using IE 6 as either IE 7 or 8.

Of course "support" might mean whether new functionality is provided
for old browsers and whether they continue to be part of a test suite.
New functions that aren't tested in old browsers can simply be marked
in the documentation, or simply "features add after version x.y have
not been tested in browser X" so users know not to use them.

--
Rob