----- Original Message -----
From: "Randolph S. Kahle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On the whole, I am not impressed with the architectural design of the
> jakarta projects.

Even through my obvious (Ant committer) bias, I agree.  Although there are a
few shining stars within the Jakarta ranks:

- Lucene (way way cool search engine API)
- Cocoon and other Avalon-based stuff (this is hearsay, but these apparently
are quite well done architecturally using Inversion of Control design)
-  BCEL (instrumenting Java classes is quite important for coverage
analysis)
- Log4j (can't live without logging)
- ORO (can't live without good regular expression tools)
- Cactus (using Aspects)

Notice I did *not* mention Ant.  While it does have some slick functionality
with respect to introspection, there is nothing super-elegant or
architecturally beautiful about it.  Ant2 is being prototyped with a couple
of different proposals and one of the proposals is using the Avalon
framework to build a service-based infrastructure allowing lots of very
slick capabilities.

> If the group is looking for an open source project to join, why not look
> at Eclipse?

Isn't this sort of backwards?  Typically folks don't seek out open-source
projects to join, they have an "itch to scratch" and join them based on a
need.

A note about Eclipse - I use WebSphere Application Developer (WSAD) at work
and its based on an older version of Eclipse.  It makes me ill to use
because its performance is terrible.  While the newer versions of Eclipse
are much better, the UI reminds me so much of my painful WSAD experiences
that I can't stomach to be in Eclipse.

My favorite IDE currently is IDEA IntelliJ.  Does everything *very* nicely.
Its not free (although they gave all Ant committers a free license to use it
for non-commercial development), but I've yet to see anything better.  Its
probably not as extensible with plugins as Eclipse, but I don't need al
that.... I just need refactoring, and lots of snazzy features to navigate
around my Java API.

    Erik