At 09:16 AM 6/25/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

I am reminded of the early days of Personal Computing when you could incite
a flame war by saying, "I prefer Wordstar", or "Word" or "Word Perfect" or
"Lotus" or "SuperCalc".   Architecture in software is like Architecture in
buildings, it is what it is and its value is in the eye of the
beholder.   While I also agree not all Apache or Jakarta projects "fit"
with what I want or need to do, I find it more productive to learn from
them, why they don't fit or do fit for my current tasks.  Additionally they
tend to improve over time if they are active as Tom and I will attest,
Struts made huge leaps for a period of time from its inception until early
2001 and I rejected it early on but adopted it a little later.

>- Lucene (way way cool search engine API)
>- Cocoon and other Avalon-based stuff (this is hearsay, but these apparently
>are quite well done architecturally using Inversion of Control design)
>-  BCEL (instrumenting Java classes is quite important for coverage
>analysis)
>- Log4j (can't live without logging)
>- ORO (can't live without good regular expression tools)
>- Cactus (using Aspects)
>
>Notice I did *not* mention Ant.  While it does have some slick functionality
>with respect to introspection, there is nothing super-elegant or
>architecturally beautiful about it.  Ant2 is being prototyped with a couple
>of different proposals and one of the proposals is using the Avalon
>framework to build a service-based infrastructure allowing lots of very
>slick capabilities.
>
> > If the group is looking for an open source project to join, why not look
> > at Eclipse?
>
>Isn't this sort of backwards?  Typically folks don't seek out open-source
>projects to join, they have an "itch to scratch" and join them based on a
>need.
>
>A note about Eclipse - I use WebSphere Application Developer (WSAD) at work
>and its based on an older version of Eclipse.  It makes me ill to use
>because its performance is terrible.  While the newer versions of Eclipse
>are much better, the UI reminds me so much of my painful WSAD experiences
>that I can't stomach to be in Eclipse.
>
>My favorite IDE currently is IDEA IntelliJ.  Does everything *very* nicely.
>Its not free (although they gave all Ant committers a free license to use it
>for non-commercial development), but I've yet to see anything better.  Its
>probably not as extensible with plugins as Eclipse, but I don't need al
>that.... I just need refactoring, and lots of snazzy features to navigate
>around my Java API.
>
>     Erik

Michael Oliver
Chief Technology Officer