Hey.... I apologize to everyone down there. I was half asleep last
monday when I responded to the Tucson Jug about the phoenix meeting
last week.

Hope my contribution here makes up for the confusion.

We just recently completed a stand alone point of sale system for our
regional sales managers that used prevaylence under the hood.  It was
an awesome, fast platform independent data store for our thick client.
 It is certainly not for everything, and we have some cool ideas about
using XML serialization instead of default object serialization in the
future but we ran out of time when we were trying to get that to work.

Key elements object structure gets serialized.
No SQL!
No Database to install.
No Drivers!
Cross platform and JVM compatability!

Downsides:
Had to manage our own transactions.
When an object in the datastore is modified you have to blow away and
rebuild the data store. (Effectively data migration and upgrades to the
data model are painful once the application is in production.) <<< We
hoped to use XML serialization to get around this.
Since the whole thing is loaded in memory there are some finite limits
to your data store (RAM).
Start up takes longer as the dataset grows.

We are going to have a real world presentation on this at the PHXJug
some time later this year.

Hope this helps,
-Todd R. Ellermann
President Phxjug.org
Senior Solution Architect Forever Living.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
602-738-6187 (cell)