Hi Landon,

   I have some experience using Java and Eclipse on
the Mac.  I had similar experiences, Java is certainly
slower on the Mac than on Windows.  Apple is to some
degree responsible for the development of the Mac JDK
and they  promote Java objects to 'first class
citizens'.  They are typically a few paces behind the
windows version.  The media libraries do work fairly
well though I might add.  If you are working with
Imaging in Java I can certainly provide a lot of info.

  I am curious as to why you chose the Mac as your
platform...  The last few run-ins I had with the Mac
were 1) a company that was receiving funding directly
from Apple, 2) a small company whos owner was so
absolutely fed up with Windows he was willing to try
anything to get out, 3) my IPod.  Macs are great but
the user share is very small.  They are virtually
unused outside of America.  Eastern European
developers I work with have never even seen one...

  -josh