> I agree that focus on XML as the message is key.
I'm not even sure that XML is the key. I've been experimenting with some
JSON data transmission, and it seems to work just fine with the bonus of
no angle brackets.

http://developer.yahoo.com/common/json.html

Parsing or outputing in Java is easy and in Javascript it's truly
trivial (since it's a native data struct).

Why do we all buy into XML? For two good reasons -- it's plain text that
is both human readable and usually understandable, even without a
schema. JSON provides the same thing. I'm not going to argue JSON v.s.
XML smackdown... just pointing out that it seems like another rationale
option for services.

-Tim