I'll throw in my .02 as I'm in the boat that you're in now. I left college a long time ago (about 14 years to be exact), for a variety of reasons, but the primary was I didn't really know what I wanted to get my degree in.

2 years ago I made the conscious decision that it was time to finish my degree once and for all and I got the opportunity to work at the UofA. Of course one of the nice about working at the U is that you get a nice tuition break, and your employer (most of the departments) can be flexible with your schedule so you can actually go to class. What I do find to be inflexible is some of the teachers, they don't care that you work full-time and sometimes may have to travel (not all teachers just some) and what they really don't realize is that someone in my position is going to be a better student, because I want to be there. Anyways, kindof got of the track there.

Here are some of the things that I like about 4 year programs (and actually attending a real class): - I learn other stuff that I might not have gotten an opportunity to learn (like Japanese literature)
- This helps me approach problems from different points of view
- I tend to get more out of my CS classes now that I have work experience to back that up - I get to interact with people from different backgrounds on a regular basis

Bottom line, I do think that it is good to get a degree (for many of the reasons listed in other responses), but you should do it because you want to do it, not because you "should get a degree". By the way I've met many people who got into programming who were never in CS and are some of the best programmers I've ever worked with. And I've met people with CS degrees who I wouldn't let anywhere near a project I'm working on.

Just my .02

-warner