On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM, roger peppe <roger.pe...@canonical.com> wrote:
> The latter might turn out to be quite awkward, though there's
> probably a nice solution I don't see.
>
> Suppose we've got three environments, A, B and C.
>
> We have transactions that span {A, B}, {B, C} and {C, A}.
>
> How can we choose a consistent shard key for all those
> transactions?

What is a "consistent shard key" and why does it matter?

>> Okay, so the measurements that left you unconvinced that sharding
>> might help to scale up were not using sharding.
>
> If we struggle to meet the requirements for a single environment,
> we're unlikely to meet them when we're running several environments
> per shard, which is surely necessary if we're to scale up.

That's unsound reasoning for the context. It implies that to be able
to meet a load demand with many serving machines we must be able to
meet the load demand with a single serving machine. Not true.

> I hope it can work for us.
>
> I really do.

I do as well.

> I just worry that without actually doing some measurement in advance,
> we may spend a lot of time working on this stuff and find that it was all for
> nought because we're fundamentally bottlenecked somewhere
> we didn't anticipate.

By all means, please do measure and collect as much data as necessary
to have a good design. We won't see any performance improvements
without a reasonable understanding of how the system works and
performs.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net