I'll fork this so we're not hijacking another thread.

Mesos runs Mesos tasks via frameworks or Docker/Rocket containers
currently. Annoyingly they used to have a scriptable container endpoint I
was hoping to knock up a POC against but they removed it, and my C is
woeful so implementing it will take some time. I also asked on the Mesos
mailing lists and they couldn't grok the use case, apparently docker does
everything anyone needs ;)

When I was at the Pentaho meetup last week, there's already a bunch of data
folk who run DC/OS or Mesos to manage their workloads which sorta validated
my use case as prior to that it was only theoretical.

There are certainly a bunch of useful docker containers, I wouldn't deny
that for a second, but the docker reality in production is often a lot like
the Big Data stuff a few years back, it works but does it work well enough.
In some places certainly, but in others not so much. We make a lot of use
of Docker recently on some NASA projects, but I'm under no illusions that
in reality Juju running containers would be a much improved plan, but they
already have Mesos etc running so why upset the apple cart? Similarly at
ApacheCon we had developers praising Docker and Systems Administrators
saying its the bane of their life.

That said, you don't really see people spin up a scalable hadoop setup in
Docker because it would be annoying to maintain, but you could easily do
that in Juju on whatever, or Puppet etc. Of course you can do it, and it
will become more common over time especially with k8s auto scaling etc for
sure.

Who said Mesos or DC/OS providers and charms wouldn't get official support?
That said currently we're just lacking bandwidth to build them(I speak
entirely as an impartial observer I have no real idea if they'd get
Canonical support, but why not?) ;)

Tom