You mention stateless, thats fine, but for example, if you have sessions in
a web app, you'd need to share the sessions etc, so autoscaling isn't
really any different to juju add-unit except you've got some stuff to
monitor load and do it without user intervention. Also you'll find the flip
side to the autoscaling argument where nodes could shutdown mid flow or
ditch sessions etc, so whilst Im sure in a lot of places it works great,
you still have to create containers that work properly in a scaling
environment, which is exactly the same as when you design charms :)

I agree with the image stuff to some extent, certainly I've used that as a
selling point, the flip side of course is, do you run apt-get update when
you start a container? Maybe, but most people won't, what about the latest
security flaws in applications that will go unpatched? It also makes for
complacency .

Of course I agree, plenty of large businesses do run their stuff in docker,
I use docker in production, I'm not saying don't use docker :) I'm just
saying that in reality its not the panacea a lot of people who want to do
high volume scale out apps think it is, not without writing a lot of code
around it for your own solution :)

--
Tom Barber
CTO Spicule LTD