To give an update on this, and it can be helpful to someone interested in:

Verified.

1. create a vanilla `trusty` LXD container named `gold`
2. ssh into `gold` container, `apt install python python-dev...`
3. in terminal, `$ lxc snapshot gold`, this created a snapshot, can be viewed from `$ lxc info gold`.
4. in terminal, `$ lxc publish gold/snap0 --alias juju/trusty/amd64`
5. `$ lxc image delete ubuntu-trusty`. This is to delete the default ubuntu-trusty image downloaded by LXD.

6. Update juju to 2.2.2 (https://jujucharms.com/docs/2.2/reference-install)
7. re-bootstrap a controller (juju bootstrap localhost [pick a name])

It is now using a local image w/ alias `juju/trusty/amd64`.

Thank you Juju.