Thanks everyone... it's super helpful to read your comments.

@Tim: ok, that makes sense and is clear. I think I was worried the language
would have a jumble of commands (not just in those categories you list) which
subtly fused variables in memory. Your comment helps me reason about it.

@Tobias: Yep, I agree the scalability of the language is key. I was just hoping
that we could do this while also keeping the ability of non-programmers to
start reasoning about Julia code immediately. I definitely don't want to
suggesting Julia look like Matlab or R ... I just want variable assignment and
functions (at the high-level prototype stage) to behave in a way that a
scientist/mathematician/statistician would expect. BTW: when I first tried to
break from Matlab and use Numpy I spent a full two days on a small project that
ended up being completely wrong because of the shared memory issue that I
didn't realize at first. I was scarred, hence my sensitivity to the issue:)

Again, thanks a ton and keep up the good work.