Thanks for the response. Still not sure I understand what you mean. readcsv
returns Array{T, 2} where T is determined form the file ... so the type of the
output does change based on the file. Since column vectors are thought of as
1-d arrays in Julia I would have assumed the Julian way to load a column is to
return Array{T,1}. I was just suggesting that readcsv would just return
Array{T,d} where T and d are appropriately determined form the file.

Anyhoo, I guess there must be a reason it works the way it does but the whole
readcsv(...)[:] thing seemed an unnecessary overhead so I thought I would check
to see if I'm using the wrong command.