On newer OSes (10.9 for example), I rarely have to do a full compile /
build with Julia.  The first time takes a while for all the deps, but over
9/10 times all that is needed is:
 - git pull
 - make clean
 - make

Sometimes a "make cleanall" is required, which would be slow but was also
rare (when I was on 10.6, this was required more frequently, which I never
dug into).

Cameron