I’m really confused. Do you want the indices to be 32-bit integers instead
> of 64-bit integers?

Yes.

> Isn’t that equivalent to asking for your code to be broken anytime your
> vector has more than typemax(Int32) elements?

That is also true but a much more rare case, typemax(Int32) is still a
quite high number for an array size and before an Int64 is needed changes
are non negligible that a memory requested failed because a big contigous
chunk of memory was not available. Well, this is my Matlab experience,
which I would like not have repeated in Julia.