To me, there are 3 main criteria that I'm comparing floats vs unums:
1) Speed
2) Elegance
3) Correctness

Right now Floats win #1 and Unums win #2 and #3 (IMO).  If unums are
optimized in hardware someday, I believe they will also win #1, especially
with the addition of some "summary bits" that can greatly reduce the
complexity of the logic in many cases.