I have to take back a couple things. The Julia docs are clearer than I
thought about the BigFloat type: it's fixed-sized but arbitrarily large,
with size resettable by a function call. Second,

julia> eps(BigFloat)
1.727233711018888925077270372560079914223200072887256277004740694033718360632485e-77

so an 1e-77 error in sin(BigFloat(pi)) is just what you'd expect. I'll have
to read up on how many bits the type gets by default, how many are in the
mantissa, how many in the exponent, and why the string rep gives three more
digits than epsilon. And I think I understand your motivation for the
double-double type, if not the Float125 and Float127 names. Tom, thanks for
the pointer to Unum --it looks very interesting.

John