Care (http://reproducible.io/) (based on PRoot, http://proot.me/) may also
be an interesting option. I've used it before to pack up a complete Julia
installation (including packages and required system libraries) on Ubuntu
14.04 and then run it on Scientific Linux 6. Care and PRoot are available
as simple static binaries and give you a simulated chroot environment (via
ptrace).