Thanks very much for the suggestion and the help offer! FireRays indeed
looks like it could do what I need. Though I find it a bit intimidating as
it involves lots of stuff I have no experience with. I will toy a bit
around with FireRays and come back to you.
Btw have you some estimate how hard (say in number of lines of julia code)
it is to wrap enough of Fire Ray to be able to intersect rays with
cylinders on CPU?