Julia is developing over time. Originally, eye was probably implemented to
mimic Matlab. Later we realized that the type system allowed us to define
the much nicer UniformScaling which has the special case

const I = UniformScaling(1)

which is almost alway better to use unless you plan to modify some of the
elements of the diagonal matrix after construction. See also

https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/5810#issuecomment-37983457

and maybe the rest of that discussion.