But the core issue isn't 'eye' specific, it's "what should the default type
for functions that create matrices be?"    Christoph's comments do not
deviate from this question.

The answer to this question affects 'rand', 'zeros', 'ones', 'linspace',
etc. just as much as eye.  ArrayFire means that this might want to be
created on the GPU which should be taken into account: the syntax
'AFArray(eye(10))' cannot work unless eye(10) returns a special type.