If this is your only use-case of I, then you don't need it anyways. Just
write 1.0 * A instead; same effect, independent of what type of array A is.

But what if I use I in a different way? Suppose I want to A[1:5,1:5] =
eye(5); I can't do that with I. Of course we could give it another type
parameters, and then do the whole collect thing again. But then we are back
to what I said before above about needless distractions.

I don't understand why there is such a resistance to providing both the
explicit arrays and the lazy functionalities in Julia.

Christoph