I have had this happen, too.  My suggestion is  grounded in persistence
rather than deep mastery of Julia's structural and file relationships.
So someone else may have a more studied approach with some explaining.
 Until then,

quit() Julia.
To have an new install be really clean, first cd  to <whereitis>/.julia/
and delete the directory `v0.5` -- if that is overkill because you do not
want to redo many Pkg.add()s then cd v0.5 and delete the METADATA directory
the REQUIRE file and the META_BRANCH file and the entry for whatever
packages you had added just before this difficulty (including those that
have hiccuped on precompile).
now delete and then reget the most current binary for your system
julia-0.5.0-rc4-osx10.7+.dmg
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/julialang/bin/osx/x64/0.5/julia-0.5.0-rc4-osx10.7+.dmg>
install
Then start julia and quit().  Then start Julia and do Pkg.update() then
quit().
Then start julia and do Pkg.add() for 1 package you want then quit(). then
start julia and do using <thatpackage> (so it precompiles) and quit().
now try using that package.