Thanks Femto Trader for bumping this. I took a quick look at Quantlib (and
Ito) and I have to say, their numerical methods are very rudimentary (in
fact, one of their methods for stochastic processes, EndPointEuler, doesn't
have finite moments for its error due to KPS 1994...). For anything that
isn't a Jump Process you can currently use DifferentialEquations.jl which
has higher Strong order methods for solving the SDEs (with efficient
adaptivity coming whenever my paper gets past peer review... short summary:
mathematicians don't like computer science tools to show up in their math
papers even if it makes it faster...). That's the thing though, you have to
know the stochastic differential equation for the process.

That said, it would pretty trivial to use dispatch so that way you define a
"GeneralizedBlackScholes" equation, when then uses dispatch to construct an
SDE and apply an optimized SDE method to it. Since you can already do this
manually, it would just take setting up an object and a dispatch for each
process. Would this kind of ease-of-use layer for quants be something
anyone is interested in?

The other thing is the Forward Kolmogorov PDEs associated to the SDEs.
Currently I have FEM methods for Poisson and Semilinear Heat Equations
which, as with the SDEs, can define any of the processes. This has a few
more fast methods than Quantlib, but it doesn't have TRBDF2 (but that would
be pretty trivial to implement. If you want it let me know, it should take
less than hour to modify what I have for the trapezoid rule since it's just
about defining the implicit function, NLsolve handles the solving).

However, for most PDEs in finance you likely don't need the general
boundaries that FEM provides and so FDM (finite difference methods) can
probably be used. I haven't coded it up yet because I was looking for the
right implementation. I am honing in on it: ImageFiltering.jl gives a good
n-dimensional LaPlacian operator (and if I can convince Tim Holy it's
worthwhile, parallel/multithreaded), and I will be building up Grids.jl
<https://github.com/JuliaMath/Grids.jl/issues/3> memory-efficient iterators
for storing the space. This should lead to blazing fast FDM implementations
where the only actual array are the independent variable (the option price)
itself, so it should also be pretty memory efficient. I'll be pairing this
with the standard methods but also some very recent Implicit Integrating
Factor Methods (IIF) which should give a pretty large speedup over anything
in Quantlib for stiff equations. Would anyone be interested in a quant
ease-of-use interface over this as well? (If you'd like to help speed this
up, the way to do that is to help get Grids.jl implemented. The ideas are
coming together, but someone needs to throw together some prototype (which
shouldn't be too difficult))

Note that Jump Processes can easily be done by using callback functions
(independent jumps can be computed in advance and then use an appropriate
tspan, adding the jump between the intervals. Dependent jumps just need to
use a callback within to add a jump in the appropriate intervals and maybe
interpolate back a bit, likely better with adaptive timestepping), and I'll
probably make an API to make this easier.

Let me know what you guys would like to see on the differential equation /
stochastic processes side and I'll make it happen. I'm doing most of this
stuff for SPDEs in stochastic systems biology, but the equations are
literally the same (general SDEs and semilinear Heat equations) so I'm
plowing through whatever I can.