I think the Julia ecosystem is evolving tremendously in this respect. I
think originally, there were a lot of these "mammoth" packages that tried
to provide everything and the kitchen sink. Unfortunately, this has led to
package bloat, package inefficiencies in terms of load times and
installation, and unmaintainability. DataFrames and Gadfly are great
examples.

The trend more recently has been a rededication to small, modular packages
that interopt nicely with others. This means moving things **out** of
packages that aren't totally essential: or in the case of DataFrames, that
can include things like IO (CSV.jl), data manipulation (Query.jl and
StructuredQuery.jl), and others.

Ultimately, with the help of core languages features like (
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/15705), I think we'll continue to
see packages slim down. This, of course, opens up more possibilities in the
future for so-called "meta" packages that could bundle several packages
together. These "meta" packages are then essentially tasked with tracking
versions, dependencies, and so forth while individual packages can focus on
simple, solid code.

-Jacob

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 11:20 PM, Júlio Hoffimann <julio.hoffim...@gmail.com