How are the processes supposed to interact with the database?  Without
extra synchronization logic, SQLite.jl gives (occasionally)
ERROR: LoadError: On worker 2:
SQLite.SQLiteException("database is locked")
which on the face of it suggests that all workers are using the same
connection, although I opened the DB separately in each process.
(I think we should get "busy" instead of "locked", but then still have no
good way to test for this and wait for a wake-up signal.)
So we seem to be at least as badly off as the original post, except with DB
calls instead of simple writes.

We shouldn't have to stand up a separate multithreaded DB server just for
this. Would you be kind enough to give us an example of simple (i.e. not
client-server) multiprocess DB access in Julia?