Hi Martin,

> Disagreed.  ...
>

> Another way to think of this - what better way to to suck the life out of a
> proprietary format than to make a one-way gateway into an open solution?
> (This is a tried-and-true ploy of proprietary platforms...)

I see your point, but if I needed a one way translator, I would just use
OGR2OGR, <shameless self-promotion> preferably with the iGOR interface
(after I update it to support FGDB).</shameless self-promotion>

I'm also in the position of needing to do advanced editing on data that is
maintained in ESRI format.  So far it is just shapefiles, but the popularity
of file geodatabases is increasing.  I can't give the customer data back in
a different format, especially one that can't handle the data size or field
names.  I need to be able to edit *along side of *the ESRI solution,
especially in an ArcGIS Engine runtime environment that doesn't have all of
the regular tools.

regards,

Larry