I'm going to stand with Michaël on this one.  Here is why:  In SkyJUMP (and
probably JUMP) it behaves this way and it seems natural.  I suspect this
capability has been lost along the way since OJ has added more
sophisticated support for window management and multiple views.  Here is
how I tested so we can see if I understood exactly what Michaël was going
for:

1. I created two new projects, each with one rectangle in one layer.  In
project 2 I selected the rectangle.
2. I opened an Attribute View for project 1 and project 2 for the one layer
in each.
3. With Attribute View 2 as the active window, I went to
Tools->Analysis->Buffer (Multiple Ring)

For SkyJUMP the menu was active and for OpenJUMP it was not.  Make
Attribute View 1 active and SkyJUMP greys out the menu - OJ does not change.

@Michaël: is this what you meant?

regards,

Larry