thanks Mike!

while i haven't come around to it, i was planning to fix it in CORE rather than
in the driver by readding the old method with a deprecated marker.
the rationale is that the API change was backward incompatible, hence breaking
extensions using the old method. as we don't/cannot know every extension out
there that approach should be most failsafe.

what do you think. worth the effort still?

..ede