-Jukka Rahkonen-

Lähettäjä: Giuseppe Aruta [mailto:giuseppe.ar...@gmail.com]
Lähetetty: 3. huhtikuuta 2018 15:12
Vastaanottaja: OpenJump develop and use <jump-pilot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Aihe: Re: [JPP-Devel] jts 1.15 vs 1.14 Was:Re: OpenJUMP next version

It sounds like a lot of job for OpenJUMP.
What about to write to LocationTech and show the difficulties for such changes?
Is Martin Davis still involved into the JTS project?

hey All,

had a look at it over the course of the last weeks and couldn't find a one size
fit's all solution. there are solution that allow us to map the package, but
then we still have to deal with the return types of methods, which is going to
be a lot of work.

with that information i'd suggest now is to go the scenic route
- keeping jts 1.14, for legacy compatibility
- add jts 1.15, it's a different package anyway
- implement the new package step by step in OJ core (have core deal with both
package's classes eventually eg. being able to render
org.locationtech.jts.geom.* classes)
- write a converter/wrapping functionality for backwards compatibility (where
needed, there will be speed penalties of course)
- eventually we will probably end up with OJ 2.x, just because of the plethora
of incompatibilities we will fetch because of this step jts project took
(really don't understand jts's reasoning, it's just so much unnecessary work!)

what do you say? ..ede