Saku Ytti писал(а) 2023-06-09 10:12:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2023 at 16:58, Andrey Kostin via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net> wrote:

Not sure why it's eye-watering. The price of fully populated MX304 is
basically the same as it's predecessor MX10003 but it provides 3.2T BW
capacity vs 2.4T. If you compare with MX204, then MX304 is about 20%
expensive for the same total BW, but MX204 doesn't have redundant RE and if you use it in redundant chassis configuration you will have to spend some BW on "fabric" links, effectively leveling the price if calculated
for the same BW. I'm just comparing numbers, not considering any real

That's not it, RE doesn't attach to fabric serdes.

Sorry, I mixed two different points. I wanted to say that redundant RE adds more cost to MX304, unrelated to forwarding BW. But if you want to have MX204s in redundant configuration, some ports have to be sacrificed for connectivity between them. We have two MX204s running in pair with 2x100G taken for links between them and remaining BW is 6x100G for actual forwarding in/out. In this case it's kind of at the same level for price/100G value.

I expect many people in this list have no need for more performance
than single Trio YT in any pop at all, yet they need ports. And they
are not adequately addressed by vendors. But they do need the deep
features of NPU.

I agree, and that's why I asked about HQoS experience, just to add more inexpensive low-speed switch ports via trunk but still be able to treat them more like separate ports from a router perspective.

I keep hoping that someone is so disruptive that they take the
nvidia/gpu approach to npu. That is, you can buy Trio PCI from newegg
for 2 grand, and can program it as you wish. I think this market
remains unidentified and even adjusting to cannibalization would
increase market size.
I can't understand why JNPR is not trying this, they've lost for 20
years to inflation in valuation, what do they have to lose?

I'm not in this market, have no qualification and resources for development. The demand in such devices should be really massive to justify a process like this.

Kind regards,
Andrey