Hi Edward,

I'm not going to read up on everything you posted here :-)

I know the PID of the running kernel process. If I could somehow do a
> subprocess.Popen() on that existing process and return a reference to that,
> I think that would work.

Try starting a subprocess that joins or polls on the running kernel. You
might also have to forward interrupts, unless you can overwrite the methods
for interrupting and terminating the kernel process. The pipes are only
used to check if the kernel process is still running, afaik.

Good luck,
  Roland