To be clear, when I said “virtualenv” I was talking about conda virtual
environments; I was not mixing them.

Possibly what happened was a pip installed package pulled in some old
dependencies and things somehow got mixed up. I now suspect it was
nb-mermaid, as that was the only other thing I remember installing between
the time it worked and it broke.