On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Graham Wheeler <g...@geekraver.com> wrote:

> To be clear, when I said “virtualenv” I was talking about conda virtual
> environments; I was not mixing them.
> Possibly what happened was a pip installed package pulled in some old
> dependencies and things somehow got mixed up. I now suspect it was
> nb-mermaid, as that was the only other thing I remember installing between
> the time it worked and it broke.

This is my defense mechanism against that problem:

it's hackish and I haven't taken the time to make it a clean, installable
package, but it gets the basic job of 100% isolation between conda and pip
done.  Pip is an 'overlay' atop conda, which supersedes it in import
priority but doesn't mingle in the filesystem, so any confusing side
effects are easy to clean up if they ever arise.