Sorry folks, things are crazy this week so I am a bit behind on emails...

>From the user experience perspective there are two questions a user
might be interested in:

1) At what exact time was this document last edited? The ISO 8601
format is possibly the right format for that information. I am not
arguing against the ISO standard.
2) How long ago did I edit that document (in human terms)? ISO 8601 is
sub-optimal for that as a user has to look at something like
"2018-02-28T15:25:47+00:00", then look at their current time and do
that math to figure out "oh, that was 5 minutes ago". The moment js
style is optimized to answer this question. I would love to do a
quantitative users test for that (probably won't happen due to time).

The difference between these two outputs isn't about standards, it is
about what question the user is trying to answer. Furthermore, that
question may change depending on what a user is doing (it changes over
time for a single user). Because of that, I don't think putting this
as a configuration option makes sense. Having a UI control that allows
a user to quickly switch date formats on the fly is probably more
appropriate. In terms of the default, my hypothesis is that question
2) above is the question users are asking the majority of the time.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 2:59 AM, Björn Johansson <bjornj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is also standard in many European countries as well and recommended by
> xkcd...
>
> On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 6:11:21 AM UTC, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:55:20 PM UTC+13, ellisonbg wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure how I feel about showing users ISO 8601 formatted datetimes
>>> though.
>>>
>>> It is not a particularly human friendly datetime format.
>>

>> It’s standard in Japan. And it is an international standard, after all.
>> Besides which, it makes logical sense.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/71b33713-d5b9-4574-94be-60be34ad02d3%40googlegroups.com.

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgran...@calpoly.edu and elliso...@gmail.com