> I am really interested in the ways the web is not up to the task of
native apps (a couple people mentioned that as a problem for Jupyter), and
I asked about it there.

This is an inherent conflict between usability and security, and also a
couple of missing API. I'm going to take the easy example of Keyboard
handling
- You usually cannot bing the Cmd-Q/Cmd-W shortcut for security reason.
Website should not be able to prevent user from closing the tab.
- ON top of the browser, the OS is often capturing event (Cmd-M on my
machine minimize windows).

You thus are _restricted_ on your shortcuts, and this is one of the reasons
we have command and edit mode.

On the API point of view, the JS api is 1) not uniform across browsers, 2)
not as complete as on the desktop.
You get only location information ant not layout, or which symbol, but no
modifiers.
In a purely English/Ascii environement this is fine, but as soon as you
consider internationalisation it is an issue,
for example in an early notebook interface we decided to bind "Split cell"
to "Alt-minus" I believe.
On German keyboard there was no way to distinguish that from normal minus.
So literally having any
German typing minus split their cell.

The gap Native/Web is closing (with things like electron that provide
menubar, right-click-open, integration...etc), but there are still some
challenges.
--
Matthias