Hi, all:
(I wager my questions are due to ignorance, so please feel free to tell me to
search certain things, as I've yet to find anyone who's dealt with something
similar.)
I run the AI club at my university and we're currently attempting to provide
access to the GPU cluster during meetings. We have a fall-back solution, but
Hub is the ideal setup.
Our meetings are conducted through Notebooks and we have a two constraints:
The cluster batches via SLURM

Each "user account" has a randomized password which can't be retrieved – we
solve this by using GitHub OAuth and match each GH user to a pre-existing
system user.

What I've done so far:
Hub successfully runs

GitHub OAuth and username_map do their job

SlurmSpawner appears to function as intended

SlurmSpawner is where this breaks down. My user account (course) doesn't have
sudo access. This means that when any spawner tries to initialize a new server
for a student, it fails. The way the system has been architected makes all
student<N> accounts members of my course group (which is also my "user group").

So, I'm curious of two things:
Is there a way to have a "local sudo" – where my user account can effectively
sudo -u student<N> as long as they're in my group? (I've never seen this done,
but wonder if it might be doable.)

If (1) isn't feasible, has anyone ever encountered an issue of not being
capable of sudo-ing but still launching Notebooks via Hub on a cluster?

Best,
John

John Muchovej
Researcher, Data Scientist